Monday, July 9, 2007

The Downed Animal and Food Safety Protection Act

Like many of you in the US, I'm just getting back to work today after an abbreviated work schedule last week due to the Fourth of July and am now playing catch-up in my workday. So, in lieu of an original post, here's a link to an e-mail I received from the Humane Society of the United States today. It was an article on factory farming in the Humane Society's members magazine, All Animals, a few months back that moved me to stop eating meat and start thinking more about what goes in my body. So it's very appropriate to share this short but important note on Mutual Menu. I'm grateful to the organization for expanding my definition of animal rights and compassion to beyond just cats and dogs.

We'll be back with more original content and--WOW!--pictures very soon.

Dear Friend,
I just took action online to prevent cruelty to "downed" animals
and protect public health. "Downers" are animals too sick or injured to walk on
their own. They are often dragged to slaughter with chains or just left to
suffer and die, sometimes for days. This kind of suffering is inexcusable. In
addition, downed animals have a higher risk of carrying diseases, like mad cow,
E. coli, and Salmonella. Congress is considering a bill to ban the slaughter of
downed animals. I hope you will join me and encourage your Representative and
Senators to support the Downed Animal and Food Safety Protection Act. It will
only take a minute -- here is the link: https://community.hsus.org/campaign/2007_downed_animals3?rk=F71w-5E1HgkyW

No comments: